The training requires your commitment for an entire semester (twelve weekly sessions, Mondays from 7:00-9:00 p.m.). Sessions are not limited to aspiring counselors, but full counselor training usually takes about two semesters.
Training is divided into three levels: Beginning, Advanced, and Intensive. Each of these levels of training takes one semester to complete. They are held concurrently Monday evenings from 7:00-9:00 p.m. Training is divided between large group learning and small group practice.
Requirements for participation
EARS training is free and we welcome anyone from the Cornell community with an interest in improving their communication skills. The EARS program is popular because it's a great way to make friends, learn helping skills, and gain greater compassion, tolerance, and appreciation of one's self and others. And it's fun!
We ask that training participants consider the following requirements for training carefully:
- Training requires you to come to each night of training on time and to stay for the entire time.
- Trainees who are unable to come to a training session or to get to training on time are expected to make arrangements with their trainer in advance of the session.
- To receive a certificate of participation at the end of the semester, trainees must attend or make up at least 10 of the 12 sessions. At the discretion of the trainers, trainees may arrange for a make-up review of up to 3 missed sessions.
- Trainees are expected to practice the techniques that they learn and report back on their experiences.
- Trainees are expected to participate as an issue giver for another trainee outside of training sessions at least one time over the course of the semester.
- Trainees are expected to take risks, make mistakes, and be open so that as each learns more about the issues that impact their life, they will be better able to support and understand others.
- Trainees are expected to be able to keep anything of a personal nature which transpires during EARS training sessions completely confidential.